[dundee] Graphics cards, Firefox and Thunderbird.

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 20 11:02:33 UTC 2014

On 20 March 2014 00:12, Owen Bowers Adams <morgania at gmail.com> wrote:

>> A small silver lining/bit of advice. Before ripping out the graphics card
> ( and don't be scared of Nvidia cards. They're honestly fine and the linux
> support isn't that bad. ATI vs Nvidia often comes down to arguing for the
> sake of arguing ) check what version of of the Nvidia kernel module your
> using. It might be worthwhile trying the nouveau driver. I once saw a
> similar issue prior to the 319.12 version from Nvidia (specifically with
> switching firefox tabs)
>
> I have an affinity to Nvidia graphics cards in the same way Andrew has an
> affinity to ATI graphics cards, one man's meat is one man's poison.

   I gave up on the proprietary Nvidia drivers about 4 years ago. I was
sick of getting black screen screens after updating    the Nvidia kernel
module (usually Fedora bugs) and reverting back to the previous kernel
module. I went with Nouveau driver and I have not looked back since. I use
the Mesa drivers with Nouveau for 3D acceleration, even though I don't play
games much. I can play IL-2 Sturmovik + Forgotton Battles + Pacific
Fighters using Wine OK. The 3D speed is slower than the proprietary drivers
but who cares. These are the benchmarking tests by Phoronix for the
comparison of Nouveau and Nvidia drivers:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_nvidia_win81&num=1

Anyway, after Linus Torvald's rant against Nvidia, Nvidia are promising
better help with the open source Nouveau driver so things should improve.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/nvidia-seeks-peace-with-linux-pledges-help-on-open-source-driver/

So if you are not an ardent gamer where frame rate is not so important I
would use the Nouveau driver with Nvidia graphics cards on Linux.

www.zubenel.org.uk