[dundee] Any OpenWRT afficianados around?

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 20 11:50:10 UTC 2014

On 20 March 2014 11:09, Colin Brough <colin.brough at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Folks
>

> I could try and find some hardware that OpenWRT runs on (or dd-WRT?),
> but there seems a dearth of supported 8 port kit... Would a 4 port
> router and a 4 port switch hanging off one of the router ports do it
> for me? How easy is OpenWRT or dd-WRT in practise (to install/setup
> and to maintain)?
>
>  I am with Virgin Media and they gave me a Dlink Dir-615 router. The
d-link firmware absolutely sucks
 as it would not allow my server an outbound connection with its internal
IP address so I switched to  DD-WRT as it supports this router.
Installation was easy, you download the appropriate file & version and
installed via the web browser default firmware update. Full instructions
from the DD-WRT web site.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

The DD-WRT firmware is a dream to use, as it monitors bandwidth, users and
a host of other things, and it also operates all my internal/external
servers. I have a Dlink 8-port LAN connecting to one of my router ports
which serves my main computer and servers, all my internal/external servers
(vm's) use static LAN IP addresses, which is no problem, allowing the
router to designate DHCP IP addresses to all the other devices (WAN) in the
house, of which there are many. I will never go back to default router
firmware as they are just diabolically useless.

www.zubenel.org.uk