[dundee] Building an Open Source 3D printer

Grant Richmond grant at terminalpixel.co.uk
Thu Apr 2 09:59:14 UTC 2015

This is a good starter 3D printer build: https://youtu.be/uCy0NEbJf4s

On 1 April 2015 at 21:30:37, gordon dunlop (zubenel at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

On 1 April 2015 at 11:49, Tom Paynter <tompaynter at tdpe.co.uk> wrote:
Hi Gordon,

I have used the Due, the main reason I used it was because it has the
native usb port so you can have a decent communication speed with a pc.
Much the same to work with as the AVR based Arduinos, the 3.3v logic
levels makes it a little easier to interface with a lot of other ICs for
example SPI flash and ADCs.

The Uno and the Mega2560 has an internal voltage of 5v rather than the 3.3v of the Due so I will have to check which will be the most pertinent for the apparatus.

I'm currently building a floppy drive for recovering 8inch floppys, I use
the Due for that. Come along to the makerspace monday evening if you fancy
having a go with it. I do most of my development on Fedora, the IDE in the
repos does not support the Due but the binary on the Arduino website works
fine.

Why are you interested, have you got a project in mind?

I was contemplating having a go at making my own 3D printer, the Michigan Tech one, as it has a proved and tested methodology/build. I am just doing a feasibility study at the moment regarding an accurate material cost, component availability and studying the methods used.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers,
Tom

www.zubenel.org.uk