[dundee] Renaming an HDD

gordon dunlop zubenel at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 10 13:48:40 UTC 2015

On 10 March 2015 at 10:35, Malcolm <malcolm at wxlr.co.uk> wrote:

> Morning all.
>
> Is this possible?  I've two identical HDDs both with PCLinuxOS on them,
> one old version, one newer version.  This means the partitions are the same
> and I can't tell the discs apart
>
> When looking at them with dolphin,  malcolm - home devices, they are
> listed by partition size, 216.9 GiB Hard Drive, and that's the bit I'd like
> to rename
>
> If I can't rename them what other options have I got?  I've considered
> custom partitioning so the root partitions are different sizes.
>
> I use GParted  (Gnome Partition Editor) which gives you a nice GUI for
viewing, creating, manipulating, editing, labeling etc.. both primary and
logical partitions of different types of file systems. As I use a
multi-boot (GAG bootloader) system with multi-OS and multiple disks, this
is the only coherent way I can keep track of all my systems without getting
lost, especially after a few OS changes. There should be a GParted package
in your OS repository or if you prefer to do your partition manipulation
outwith your resident OS's (recommended) there is a live cd for this. I
have also found  the Live cd is perfect for use in setting up new systems,
whether for Linux systems or Windows/Linux combos.

http://gparted.org/download.php

www.zubenel.org.uk