[dundee] Software Society talk: 12th March 2015: Security and Exploits

Paul Sutherland newsonthegrapevine at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:52:32 UTC 2015

Hello,

On Thursday 12th March 2015 the Software Society welcomes back Mathew Payne who will be giving us a talk on Security and Exploits:

"Over the last 20 years, hackers have using different types of attacks to escalate their own privileges or gain remote access to systems. This talk will be looking into a type of attack call a ‘buffer overflows’, this is where poor programming and little to none input sanitisation have not been implemented.  Looking into different protection methods such as Slack Cookies, NX/DEP and ASLR to see how to bypass each one of them intern. Also I’ll be taking a look at the current state of Operating Systems and other tools to see whether they are as secure as they could be.”

We would like to thank Mathew for stepping in at the last minute a fortnight ago and gave us a talk on his current University project.  It was a great talk and we will invite him back when it is finished. So for those of you who missed it first time around, will get a second chance to see it again.

Many Thanks,

Paul