[Nelug] A newbie requiring lots of help

Graham Tinn scarydogcompany at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 20:01:01 UTC 2003

I hope this is not to basic?

I am setting up a network at home:

There are two PCs one with two NICs

PC one eth0 to a switch and two XP machines
       eth1 to a hub and the second PC

PC two eth0 to the hub

I would forget the XP for now I think I have a long
way to go before that stage.

I am running Suse 8.2 pro

I can ping from one machine to the other.

First question do I need to setup a DNS for the local
machines or is it only a requirement for the internet?

I have tried pinging by machine name ie linux300 and
linux800 each machine can ping itself but fails to
recognise the other machine. I take it this is a DNS
thing?

If I need a DNS server setting up under Suse I could
use some pointers.

While I am on does anyone know of any courses run
locally that do not require a second mortgage?

Thanks for any help recieved.

Grim