[Nelug] Slackware 9.0 problem

Paul Hutchinson paulhutchinson at warpmail.net
Tue Aug 19 22:36:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:36:47 +0100
"Nick Paton" <nickpaton1 at home.3b.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Many thanks to you all for suggesting the best Linux version to go for as a
> first time user.
>
> I've decided to go for Slackware 9.0, since I enjoy a challenge.
>
> Initial kernel panic problem, which was traced ( with help from those Sun
> people - thanks) to having to disable USB in bios.
>
> Then booted up OK, and loaded onto a new harddisk.
>
> PROBLEM:  I boot up from LILO, and it goes into darkstar: login
> I then login as "root" and password as specified during the initial software
> But where do I go from here?

Now you are ready to start using you OS, first use the "adduser" script to add a non-root user, then go about setting up X etc etc etc. When all that is done run "startx" and there you go.

> Do I need to compile a kernel, and if so how?  Or has this already been done
> under ver 9.0?

No, you do not need to compile a kernel.

> If not then how do I run Linux to get into KDE?

You will need to configure X, then put the appropriate line to load KDE into your .xinitrc

> Also from the darkstar root, how do I logout, so that next time it doesn't
> need to repair the contents of the disc partition every time?  Exit and
> logoff seem to do something, but I always then end up at the Darkstar login
> again, without actually exiting exiting, if you see what I mean!

Exit and Logoff are the same thing, they log you off. To poweroff the machine you will want to run /sbin/poweroff, depending on if you have loaded the apm module it will then poweroff of you will be free to turn off your PC when it is done.

> I know this is v basic stuff, but documentation from the Slackware site
> varies at the login, so a bit stuck!

The documentation of slackware may not be too hot, but the community is great. I shall try to help wherever I can, but you should really check out alt.os.linux.slackware, a very active newsgroup with some very clever regulars who can fix almost anything. They don't take kindly to dumb questions though, so make sure to RTFM / STFW else you will be kindly directed to do so.

HTH,
Paul