[Nelug] Activating DMA on a Dell Optiplex

Martin Ward Martin.Ward at durham.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 17:07:01 UTC 2003

I have a new Dell Optiplex GX260 which I have installed Mandrake 9.0 on.
I noticed I was getting poor disk performance, so I had a look with hdparm
and found that DMA wasn't set. Trying to set DMA gives this error:

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)
#

When I boot into Linux, I get this message:

PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions

Device 00:1f.1 happens to be the IDE interface (an Intel 82801DB 1CH4 IDE)
What does "resource collisions" mean?

The disk is a Western Digital WDC WD800BB-75CAA0, ATA DISK drive
and the kernel is  2.4.19-16mdk

Any suggestions?

--
			Martin