[Nelug] Problem mounting removable media in Redhat 7.1 - Part II

gary.park gary.park at boltblue.com
Tue Jan 28 12:57:03 UTC 2003

Dear Members,

Thanks to Eddy and Peter for your help some time ago on my problem of
mounting removable media under Redhat 7.1. You were both correct in
respect of the floppy drive as (for some bizarre reason) there was no
directory for it in the /mnt directory.

However, I still cannot get the CD or CD-RW to mount, if I try to mount
either one I get the following error:

Could not mount device
The reported error was:
mount: wrong FS type, bad option, bad superblock or /dev/cdrom or too
many mounted file systems

fstab looks like this:

LABEL=/	/		ext2		defaults
1 1
/dev/hda1	/mnt		vfat		defaults
0 0
/dev/fd0	/mnt/floppy	auto		noauto owner
0 0
none		/proc		proc		defaults
0 0
none		/dev/pts	devpts	gid=5,node=620		0 0
/dev/hda5	swap		swap		defaults
0 0
/dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom		iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu.ro
0 0
/dev/cdrom1	/mnt/cdrom1		iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu.ro
0 0

typing mount to display the mtab settings produces this::

/dev/hda6	on	/type				ext2
(rw)
none		on	/proc			type	proc
(rw)
usbdevfs	on	/proc/bus/usb	type	usbdevfs	(rw)
/dev/hda1	on	/mnt			type	vfat
(rw)
none		on	/dev/pts		type	devpts
(rw,gid=5,mode=620)
automount (pid697)  on  /misc 	type  autofs
(rw,fd=5,pgrp=697,minproto=2,maxproto=3)

in /dev/ there is (among other things and excluding dates, times etc.):

cdrom		rw - rw	root	disk	/dev/hdb
cdrom1	rw - rw	root	disk	/dev/scd0
fd0		rw - rw	root	floppy
hdb		rw - rw	root	disk
scd0		rw - rw	root	disk

And finally, /mnt/ looks like this:

cdrom		rwxr-xr-x	root	directory
cdrom1	rwxr-xr-x	root	directory
floppy	rwxr-xr-x	root	directory

Can anyone help me by suggesting a solution to this - many thanks again
for you help

Yours

Gary J Park