[Nelug] Gentoo Linux & Kernel Panic

Edward Younger - Sun VSP - Firmware Engineer Edward.Younger at sun.com
Thu Sep 4 14:29:00 UTC 2003

Steven writes:
 > On booting the new install the system boots, loads the kernel then the error
 > message: "Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init". This appears right after
 > the USB system is started ie:
 >
 > uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 11
 > usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
 > hub.c: USB hub found
 > hub.c: 2 ports detected
 > uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 9
 > usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
 > hub.c: USB hub found
 > hub.c: 2 ports detected
 > ---- Detected UHCI hardware
 > ---- Scanning for hid...usb.c: registered new driver hid
 > hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech at suse.com>
 > hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
 > ---- Detected hid hardware
 > ---- Scanning for usb-storage...Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
 > usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
 > USB Mass Storage support registered.
 > ---- Detected usb-storage hardware
 > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
 >
 > I only have a MS USB Keyboard and Mouse pluged into the USB.
 > There is no dir /etc/rc.d where else could the init scripts be?

OK , it's still booting the kernel and hasn't started running init
scripts yet. This could be similar to a problem on some hardware with
the Slackware9 install kernel, but that was worked-around by disabling
USB in the bios and you say that didn't work for you.

Suspicious about the  "---- Detected usb-storage hardware" line, if you
haven't got any usb-storage devices attached. Do you have any way to
boot an alternate kernel, pref. one with no USB support (assuming you
can attach a ps/2 kbd) ?

Eddy.