[Nelug] Linux Newbie

Craig Bates cibates at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 3 16:52:38 UTC 2004

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in replying, been busy :-(...

I run XP and SUSE 9.1 Pro on my laptop and they seem
to be playing fine.

It sounds to me that GRUB has a dodgy entry in the
config files, causing it to boot from (a non-existant)
partition.

Does it boot to GRUB ok? If so what options do you
have in there?

Without seeing the machine it's hard to tell what
state the windows partition is in. Can you see the
Windows partition from a DOS prompt (using a boot
disk)? If you can then "FDISK /MBR" will rewrite the
master boot record and allow it to boot back into
Windows.

If you post your grub.conf (type "more /etc/grub.conf"
to get it in Linux) and also type "mount" and then
"df" post the contents of those, it will give us a
better idea of your setup.

Let us know how you get on...

Craig.