[Nelug] Linux Newbie

Andrew Hatch andrew.hatch at bluespace.com
Thu Nov 4 08:47:06 UTC 2004

Have you made sure that your XP disk is the first device to boot?  This is a BIOS setting.  What might have happened is that your 2nd disk is actually first in the boot list, but hasn't had a bootloader, so BIOS has happily used the XP bootloader.  Now that the 2nd (linux) disk has a bootloader, it might be using that as default?

A route I might take to get things working:

1. Ensure boot order is correct, i.e. Disk 1 then Disk 2
2. Boot from XP cd and re-install MBR (I've only done this with Win2k - just boot from CD, select recovery console in the menu system, then 'login', then use the 'mbr' command).
3. Ensure XP now boots (i.e. to Disk1) without problem.
4. Begin Linux installation, ensure both Disk1 and Disk2 have the 'bootable' flag set.
5. Install bootloader to MBR of disk 1 (i.e. the first bootable drive)
5. Make sure that Grub adds both XP and linux disks to boot menu.  This automagically happens when I install Debian.

Hope that helps,