[Nelug] Talk at Oct 13th meeting

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Wed Oct 6 20:45:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 17:39, Richard Patterson wrote:

> On Sunday 03 October 2004 14:13, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> Well, we don't really have a "speakers slot" as such (maybe we should start to
> have one?), but you are most welcome to talk at the next meeting.

A good few years ago we did have the "speakers slot" in the meeting (it
lasted just less than a year until we ran out of speakers!). It worked
quite well and gave us focus for each meeting. The "slot" could easily
take up the whole meeting (but could have been policed a bit more).

> I know there has not been much discussion on the list about what anyone would
> like to know about, but if you're talking from your personal knowledge on the
> subjects, maybe this could be decided on the day?

Thats true but personally I prefer some notes (good to add to LUG
archives etc.) and knowing what the subject is allows some of the many
lurkers to decide that the talk interests them and is worth a special
effort to visit. (Of course you could say that knowing the topic makes
people less likely to visit).

That said I'm only one person in the LUG and don't get along to as many
meetings as I once used to. It really takes others to speak up with what
they want.

richm at oldelvet.org.uk