[Nelug] modprobe versus modules.conf

Martin Ward Martin.Ward at durham.ac.uk
Sun Mar 13 10:42:05 UTC 2005

On Friday 11 Mar 2005 5:04 pm, Andrew Hatch wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm running 2.6.10-1-k7 on debian and having a minor problem with
> automatically configuring the network at bootup.  The following recipe
> gives me a working network connection:
>
> 1. Bootup
> 2. modprobe 8139too
> 3. ifup eth0
>
> I naively thought I could then just add the line
>
> 	alias eth0 8139too
>
> to /etc/modules.conf and the device should start automagically.
> Unfortunately it doesn't.  Does anybody have a gem of wisdom they could
> share with me on this?

I have a gem of something (which may or may not be wisdom).

On Mandrake 10.1 (which also uses a 2.6 kernel) the alias commands
have to be added to the file /etc/modprobe.conf, not /etc/modules.conf.

Does that help?

--
			Martin

Martin.Ward at durham.ac.uk http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/ Erdos number: 4