[Nelug] Speedtouch USB modem

James Le Cuirot chewi at ffaura.com
Thu May 19 14:39:47 UTC 2005

I used the Windows DLL instead of the speedtch kernel module. Though I
don't usually like resorting to Windows DLLs for things, I made the
exception in this case and it worked fine.

Ah but isn't that Gentoo nosh heavenly! =D Seriously, it does demand
some extra work but you do get a lot out of it. Having to install SSH
though? Did you not start from stage 3? That would have saved you a
little bit of work. In any case, it's all about choice. You get to fine
tune your distro just the way you like it and believe me, Gentoo still
does a lot of the work. The next best thing would be Linux from scratch
and even I wouldn't touch that. =P Maybe you don't care for all this
fine tuning malarkey? Okay so go back to Mandrake then! Heh. It's up to
you. Gentoo isn't for everyone, of course, but if you're enthusiastic
about Linux and like to be the one in control then it's great. I
managed to install it with some very primitive Linux knowledge after
using Mandrake 9 for six months and I learnt so much in the process! Oh
and most importantly, it's really not so tough once you've got your
basic system up. I've been using Gentoo for over two years now and I
love it.

James