[Nelug] A couple of things from the last meeting

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 16:55:33 UTC 2005

Richard Patterson wrote:

> . but how did you find out about the list and not the website? i'm
> sure all the places where the list is advertised, the website is there
> too?

Hmmm, good point. However I've been on this list for nearly a year now,
when I still lived in Lytham St Annes and realised we'd be moving up
this way, so perhaps I found the list via the website, subscribed, then
forgot all about it. That seems quite likely.

> Screen savers don't depend on the desktop, you should be able to use
> any of them from any desktop... I use xscreesaver... quick google
> found this: http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#slideshow

The problem with a lot of the slideshows is that they need to be kicked
off, and it's really a screensaver I want so that it'll kick in itself.
gqview does a nice slide show too. I take the point about screensavers
being independent of the desktop but I've not found any ready made hooks
into kscreensaver from the gnome desktop so presumably I'd need to add
menu items manually or run kscreensaver directly. I'm sure it can be
done but I'm too lazy to investigate.

Dougie