[Nelug] Linux Courses

Bob Groves bobgroves at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 3 11:40:15 UTC 2005

Dear all,

I'm a new member of this list  and live in Whitley Bay (I run Mandrake 9.2 on
my old Packard Bell 600 Mhz Pentium 3 - with about two years experience). I'm
already a member of the Tyneside LUG, but as far as I'm concerned you can
never have too many Linux contacts or resources :-)

I'm also General Secretary of the Association of Part-Time Tutors (APTT) a
voluntary body I helped set up about 10 years ago to help train and support
part-time workers in the education profession. The Association has started to
get into Linux (slowly) and we have a small group of 'converts' who have
migrated over to various distros from Windows.

One of the projects we've worked on in collaboration with the Tyneside LUG is
free and accessible training courses for home Linux users. Last year TLUG and
APTT jointly developed a course called 'Introduction to Linux', which we got
accredited (so that those taking part could gain a recognised certificate)
and piloted at the Discovery Museum in Newcastle upon Tyne (using SuSe 9.2).
It was a big success - eight of the ten who did the course have been awarded
their 'Level 1' Open College certificates.

We are running the course again this autumn -
Introduction to Linux
Starts Tuesday 27th September, 6.00 - 8.00 pm for ten weeks (ex-holidays)
at 'Live Wires', Discovery Museum, Blandford Square, Newcastle.
The course is still ostensibly free, though there may be a small charge to
help pay for room rent and accreditation costs (about £25).

Places are still available on the course if anyone is interested (please pass
the word on!) and if anyone wants further information, full details are
available at my website:

http://www.bobgroves.no-ip.com

(check out 'Course Materials')

ALSO - because there was so much enthusiasm for the Beginners course we're
going to run an 'Intermediate' Course for those who have a bit of practical
experience and want to gain a bit more insight into their favourite OS.
Details:
Intermediate Linux
Starts Friday September 23rd, 1.00 - 3.00 pm for ten weeks (ex-holidays)
at 'Live Wires', Discovery Museum, Blandford Square, Newcastle.
The Intermediate level course will look at setting up server software (apache,
ftp), compiling from source, archiving and backing-up, setting up a firewall,
etc. (I'm open to suggestion as to what else we can cover and would be of
interest to the 'general' Linux user).

Anyone can sign up for the 'Beginners' and/or 'Intermediate' courses - just
let me have your name/address etc. and I'll put you on the list. From my
experience, both courses will emphasise enjoyment and helping the
'non-industrial' user.

By the way - APTT also runs a lot of other free computer training for adults -
and you can get a PDF copy of our leaflet at my website as above (see the
link: 'APTT Course Programme').

Thanks for putting up with the long email folks.

--
Bob Groves
Email: secretary at aptt.org.uk
APTT Website: http://www.aptt.org.uk
Personal website: http://www.bobgroves.no-ip.com

(Written using Kmail in GNU/Linux Mandrake 9.2)

Quote of the Day: