[Nelug] Remote music player

Richard Patterson richard at helpquick.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 22:59:30 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Ok, following on from the other topic i started, i have another one for
you to ponder...

I have a small PC104 board which is a complete PC in the size of a 3.5"
drive :-)

This board is an Advantech PCM-5820L, which has on-board VGA, Sound &
LAN. The CPU is a Cyrix Media GX 233 (very slow ;-) ), and has 128Mb ram...

The underside has a CF socket, which currently has a 64Mb CF card, I did
try to put a 1Gb MicroDrive into it, but would not physically fit :-(,
so for the time being, i'm stuck with 64Mb

I have had it setup in the past running linux, mpg123 took up about 60%
cpu to play an MP3. Don't know about decoding other stuff...

What would be really cool is if i could build this into a small box, and
use it as a remote network controlled music player...

The entire system would either need to fit into the 64M CF Card, or the
board should boot from the network, and have everything on NFS

Sounds quite simple... but is it?

Lets see what we can come up with... If i get anything running on it,
i'll bring it to one of the meetings for everyone to look at ;-)

Cheers,