[Nelug] Linux friendly ISPs

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 09:51:53 UTC 2006

I was with uklinux for a long time and found them very good too. I
especially liked the way that you got instant access to the weblogs. But
this was pre-broadband and I ended up with using uklinx for my domain
hosting and BT for my ISDN. Eventually I just wanted things 'tidier' and
went to Plusnet. Plusnet are pretty good and bundle quite a few bits and
pieces in the package that can be quite fun although I haven't got
around to using them yet (e.g. mysql). I was on a business package with
PN for a long time, at 30quid/month, and only in the last few months
downgraded to 'Premier' which is their in-the-middle package. It's a bit
of an overkill for what I need and I'm sure there's a better value for
money one but it is straightforward. The Pay as You Go type accounts
that are now appearing seem to be quite suitable and I might be better
off with one of those as my upload/download bandwidth is not very high.
The big problem for me about Plusnet is that it is run by a moron called
Lee Strafford who was responsible for one of most clumsy and unethical
purges of its customer base ever seen (
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/02/01/plusnet_boots_1100_users). I was
a low unmetered dial-up user at the time and one weekend the new
Slackware distro was released, so on one weekend I downloaded it, and
that was the weekend that PN decided to check 24/7 unmetered connections
and decided these users were permanently connected and kick them off.
They sent emails to the accounts they then terminated shortly after. So
if you are a PN customer you have to go to sleep at night knowing that
your money is contributing towards Lee Strafford's pension and, quite
frankly, that's something I find hard to stomach.

So PN offer a pretty good value for money package, but they are largely
ridiculed and mistrusted on the PN newsgroups as they have a tendency to
change their Ts&Cs and AUP every five minutes. I'm with them for the
time being because I'm too lazy to move and they are pretty reliable.
And you get 250MB webspace which I quite like.

I take it you've had a look at http://www.ispreview.co.uk? That'd
probably be my first port of call if I was thinking of changing. If I
was just after a basic service I'd seriously consider waitrose as they
sound quite good value and ethical, they give all their profits to
charity and have an 0800 support line.

Dougie