[Nelug] Linux friendly ISPs

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Feb 20 03:47:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 21:39 +0000, Ian McKeag wrote:
> Thanks for your replies to my query.  I'm paying £26/month for
> 512k/36k-ish and could clearly do better.  Trouble is, your email
> address almost becomes one of your genes!!  I must also say though that
> the service and support from uklinux has been faultless.

I haven't used uklinux for ADSL but I've used it for dialup (prior to
getting ADSL) and that was faultless. BUT I've had some problems with
their other services. At time's I have found that their support has been
non-existant they've let domains expire without giving me the
opportunity to pay; it took me 3 weeks to get a DNS problem fixed - and
its still unstable; and to top it all they charge something like £10 to
make a change to my DNS settings.

Recently I've started using Blackcat Networks
(www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk) at work. They are very knowledgeable guys;
willing to help with special setups; have a good admin interface
(including diy/free DNS changes). I haven't tried their ADSL package (22
+vat IIRC for 512K incl static IP - and native ipv6).
That said if you are looking for someone to host your DNS they £5/year
will get that hosted and the guys don't charge move in/out fees (for
*.uk anyway)

As for ADSL I use uklinux.net's pureip at 512k for 22.50. I'm not sure
if that is the best value package of theirs (there are others for better
prices but I'm not sure that they come with static IP addresses).

HTH

Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk>