[Nelug] PCW Article and Modem

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Sun Jul 23 12:13:40 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 Jul 2006 16:36, david flower wrote:
> if you could that would be great
>
> ive attemped it many times with a silver and a red one but never suceeded

First you need to extract the firmware. See:
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/firmware/index.html
for the files to download to do this. In my case, I ended up with
these two files:

There are two methods I have used sucessfully:

(1) The manual method (with Mandrake 9.2):

(a) Get hold of the firmware. This URL gives instructions:
http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/firmware/index.html
In my case I have two files in /usr/share/speedtouch:

-rw-r--r--    1 root    883 Nov  9  2004 boot.v123.bin
-rwx------    1 root 735568 May 19  2005 mgmt.o*

The firmware extractor creates the files with the names
speedtch-1.bin and speedtch-2.bin

My modem is a Rev 0.00 green Alcatel.

(b) Edit /etc/ppp/options if necessary to contain:

lock
noauth
noipdefault
usepeerdns

(c) Create a file /etc/ppp/peers/adsl:

# This file could be rename but its place is under /etc/ppp/peers
# To connect to Internet using this configuration file
# pppd call adsl, where "adsl" stands for the name of this file
#

debug
kdebug 1
noipdefault
defaultroute
pty "/usr/sbin/pppoa3 -m 1 -c -vpi 0 -vci 38"
sync
user "YOUR-ADSL-USERNAME"
noauth
noaccomp
nopcomp
noccp
novj
holdoff 4
persist
maxfail 25
usepeerdns
mtu 1458

(d) Edit /etc/ppp/chap-secrets:

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
'YOUR-ADSL-USERNAME' * 'YOUR-ADSL-PASSWORD' *

(e) Install the speedtouch rpm, if necessary. This should provide the program:
/usr/sbin/modem_run

(f) Test the setup by running:

modem_run -m -f /usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o
pppd call adsl
ping www.google.com

If it doesn't work, check /var/log/messages. You can get more debugging info
by running:

pppd call adsl debug logfd 2 nodetach

If this works, add this line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

route del default
((modem_run -m -s -f /usr/share/speedtouch/mgmt.o; pppd call adsl) &)

(2) The automated method (with Mandriva 10.1 and later):

(a) Extract the firmware as above and install in /usr/share/speedtouch

(b) Run the Mandrakelinux Control Centre (drakconf), click on
"Network & Internet", "New connection", select "ADSL connection",
select "Alcatel speedtouch USB modem" and follow the prompts.

I had to add the line "speedtch" to the file /etc/hotplug/blacklist
and reboot.

With this method, the calls to modem_run and pppd are done automatically
on boot, and I had to remove them from /etc/rc.d/rc.local
(since calling them again caused a kernel panic!)

I hope this is useful!

--
			Martin

martin at gkc.org.uk http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/ Erdos number: 4