[Nelug] Turning my old laptop into a dedicated cd/ogg player

Douglas Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 06:25:46 UTC 2006

Stephen Patterson wrote:
>  you might want to take a look at mpd
> (www.musicpd.org) for mp3/ogg playing. It runs as a daemon accessible over the
> network with command line, X & php clients.

I may have another look at mpd sometime as it looks like it's had a new
release. I experimented with it once before but found it a bit limited
and I found I could control xmms quite a bit with some of the other
utilities. I use 'xmmsctrl', 'xmmsinfo' and 'xmms-shell' a lot.

The main advantage with xmms for me is the fast response to Jump
(search), being able to queue up several tracks using single keystrokes,
and skipping forward and back tracks. When I looked into 'amarok' which
seems to get people very excited, I just found it to be eye-candy. It
certainly looks nice but very difficult to drive without a mouse.

Dougie