[Nelug] Stable server starts rebooting

Douglas Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Fri Oct 13 16:43:15 UTC 2006

I'm quite busy at the moment so I'm not sure how or when I'll start
investigating this. I need to give it a bit of thought though.

nick is my dual processor PIII mail server/backup machine. nick lives in
the loft with no side panels to keep him cool. Normally up for months
and months at a time, but I've only just noticed I've been getting
reboots. They seem to have started this month, with THREE this morning,
and one  a few days ago.

wtmp begins Sun Oct  1 09:49:45 2006
root at nick:~# last reboot
reboot   system boot  2.6.8            Fri Oct 13 09:35          (07:58)
reboot   system boot  2.6.8            Fri Oct 13 08:40          (08:54)
reboot   system boot  2.6.8            Fri Oct 13 07:38          (09:56)
reboot   system boot  2.6.8            Tue Oct 10 09:35         (3+07:58)

I've got a bad feeling about this. Perhaps a hardware failure saying hello.

I'm thinking of running a script to take a system snapshot so that I
have a 'ps' around the time of the crash. I don't have the time or
energy to look into it right now but if anyone has any hints on how to
get a snapshot of what was happening in a linux box at crashtime I'd be
interested.

It's normally a very, very well behaved machine. Running Debian Stable.