[Nelug] Getting certifications

George Chlapoutakis darksyn at secbible.org
Sat Sep 30 00:17:16 UTC 2006

Aleksander,

When I looked into the matter LPI was about the cheapest, price-wise,
with the redhat being the most expensive of them all. LPI is quite
okay, skills-wise, but reading through the books I found out that
anyone who's done a stint as a linux sysadmin can sail through it.

Personally, having been a member of a large number of prominent
mailing lists where people essentially paraded their certifications
around, I consider them to be just another piece of paper one uses to
get companies to hire them, and nothing really more than that.

If you want to do something of this sort, though, LPI might be your
first port of call, as it will give you something that's universally
recognised, will be cheap enough to not bankrupt you and will give
you a taste of what certifications are like in general.

Let us know, though, what your investigation into the matter turns up
(yours and anyone else's, of course).

Cheers
George

PS: Appologies for missing meetings, but things have been happening.
I, however, now have a car of my own, so unless the next meeting
coincides with a lecture/meeting I have to attend for the university
I should be able (1) to come over.

(1) Be prepared for a phonecall/e-mail saying " Arghhh!!! I'm lost!!!
How do I get to <name of place>???", ROFL!!!