[Nelug] Swap USB wifi card for a pci one?

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Mon Apr 9 21:16:41 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 19:16 +0100, Aleksander Helgaker wrote:
> I'm tired of messing around for ages every time I try a new Linux
> distro to get my wifi to work. The problem is I have a usb based wifi
> card (WUSB54GC Linksys) which sometimes works with ndiswrapper. It
> work perfectly in Windows vista. I've had it running for about 2
> months with no problems now and I've also had it running on windows
> xp.

For what its worth I bought one of these beasts a month or so back. It
actually works fine with the rt73 driver from
http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/
The newer (development/fully open) rt2x00 drivers from the site don't
work (apparently a known problem) but the rt73 does. I have to configure
it with a specific sequence, and it doesn't seem to like doing dhcp - I
think that there are some patches that fix it floating around - but it
works quite happily for me.

For the record I set it up with

/sbin/ifconfig rausb0 up
iwconfig rausb0 key [1] aaaaaaaaaa
iwconfig rausb0 essid myapid
ifconfig rausb0 192.168.2.199 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route add default gw 192.168.2.254  rausb0

obviously you need to replace aaaaaaaaaa, myapid and IP addrs with the
real values for your site but other than that it works fine.

YMMV

Richard

Richard Mortimer <richm at oldelvet.org.uk>