[Nelug] Backup Solution

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Wed Sep 26 20:20:05 UTC 2007

See http://www.bacula.org/

That backs things up across the network. Runs on Linux, Solaris,
Winslows etc. It runs in client/server mode with SD (storage daemon
that store to tape, disk or dvd), FD (file daemon - that reads the
files off of the client - one per machine to be backed up) and
director (that schedules things - one probably on the same machine
as SD).

It does encryption on the FD client so the SD never sees the raw
data. Volume rotation is done automatically to the schedule that
you define. The only thing that might be an issue for you is the
speed of backups over the wire for your remote machines. But if
that is a problem you could run a local SD on those machines and
then rsync the backup volumes after the backup.

If that sounds useful we could talk about bacula at the next group
meeting. I can bring some sample configs along and we could work
out something that fits your needs.

Richard