[Nelug] Backup Solution

Rick Trotter rick.trotter at teescode.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 20:05:39 UTC 2007

I use RSYNC at work also, we've got a VPN set up between site
locations and use rsync to move data between them. We also use rsync
internally between windows and linux boxes .. when you get the data
to your home server you might want to consider what you do with that
box backup-wise too.
I've been looking at encrypted filesystems for secure storage at home
and work - the other network engineer at my work managed to build his
own encrypted filesystem linux on a USB stick which works very nicely.

If you can get away with it bandwidth-wise encrypt your VPN as highly
as you can, I wouldn't transfer client data over anything less than
256bit, but maybe I'm just a little paranoid!

Rick

On 26 Sep 2007, at 23:39, Brian Ronald wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 20:47 +0100, Scott Wilcox wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone done anything like this or similar, and if so how did you
>> manage to do it, and is it successful?
>
> At work I back up many Windows and Linux servers using rsync, which
> can
> be tunnelled over ssh for backing up across untrusted networks.  There
> are a bunch of pre-rolled packages that use this protocol.  I
> rolled my
> own, but a quick web search will show more.  It's fast and effective.

Rick Trotter
CTO TeesCode

rick.trotter at teescode.co.uk
www.teescode.co.uk