[Nelug] webcams in linux

Oliver Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 15:28:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 16:09:40 +0100, Daniel Tweedy <daniel.tweedy at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Not sure if this is a daft question or not, but do you have to mount a
> usb webcam before you can use it ?

No.

> Have installed the drivers but am a bit lost as to how to use it now.

You should now have a /dev/video0 device (or /dev/video1 or whatever).
Video applications need pointing towards that -- something like:
  mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device/dev/video0

I've been playing around with the 2.6.27-rc kernels over the last few days
because of the new gspca webcam drivers that have been merged -- my
ultra-cheap no-name webcam now works (though not without problems -- it
crashes almost everything apart from mplayer).

- olly