[Nelug] webcams in linux

Oliver Burnett-Hall olly at burnett-hall.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 11:06:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 01:11:23AM +0100, Daniel Tweedy wrote:
> I get errors from that command you gave
>
> Option tv: Unknown suboption device/dev/video0
> Error parsing option on the command line: -tv

Sorry, typo -- the command should have been:
  mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0
[I'd missed off the = between device and /dev/video].

> I have a Creative Live Cam Optia using the Linux UVC driver, it states
> this driver works with this camera, but I cant get it to do anything.

Another program to try, if you're using the UVC driver, is luvcview
(available in the Debian package of the same name, not sure whether it's
in other distributions or not).  That works with the camera built into
my eeePC, which also uses the UVC driver.

> both /dev/video0 and /dev/video1 exists and a few others too.

Try all of them -- with a bit of luck you'll find the right one.

- olly