[Durham] Request for help...

Rick Trotter rick.trotter at teescode.co.uk
Mon Feb 2 20:53:34 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I've got a bit of a plea for help here if anyone is able to assist...

I have about 3 weeks before I start my new job as Network Manager of a
school in Stockton and after doing a few hours surveying the site &
checking out what is in there, I've noted areas that are in desperate
need of attention, but my budget is non-existent (anyone working in
education can attest to this fact!)

If anyone has any server racks (half height or full height) that they or
their business is about to skip, I'm desperately seeking one or two to
move equipment off benches and into racks - I'm donating my own gear to
be used at the school to help plug the gap (I've got a couple of servers
that are useful for DNS / Webservers, but I gave away my half-height
rack to an ex-student of mine) - if anyone has anything they think "yeah
I don't want that anymore" or "my company would prefer to donate this
gear rather than pay for recycling it / skipping it" could you please
let me know via email - my school email is:
trotterr at ianramsey.stockton.sch.uk or back to this email address.

Half height / Full Height Racks - don't necessarily have to have front
/back/sides but have to be able to take full depth server, not a comms rack
Servers - 1U/2U boxes that would be useful for linux boxes running
Apache/MySQL/Smoothwall
10/100/1000 Network switches - ideally managed rack-mount (there's no
redundancy on the network at present)
19" Rack shelving to place non-rackmount server pc's on.

I can arrange to pick gear up - heck I'll pay myself to rent a van if I
can move the school IT on... I'm hoping to roll out more Open Source
across the school which it already has been using it to great effect -
any freebie gear I manage to acquire will mean the IT support team can
push forward with OSS initiatives. The schools is excited about
installing the latest version of Moodle and I'm hoping to use some of
the gear to do MySQL mirroring / Apache offloading from the current
Moodle server.

If you can help, please let me know - I'm sure we've all benefited in
the past from some donated gear, let's pass that help on to the next
generation of techies and geeks and teach them that Linux has a place in
every corner of the world!

Rick