[Durham] Port forwarding via two ADSL lines

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Wed May 25 20:39:02 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 25 May 2011 at 20:59, Richard Patterson <Richard at helpquick.co.uk>
wrote:
> I assume you have both routers on the same network, such as the first
>  router has say 192.168.1.1, and the second on 192.168.1.2, with your
>  server being 192.168.1.10
>
> If on the server, you add an IP alias such as 192.168.1.11 (ifconfig eth0:1
>  192.168.1.11)... then you can add another default route via the alias
>  interface eth0:1 (route add 0.0.0.0/0 gw 192.168.1.2 dev eth0:1)
>
> You should then find that connections coming in on eth0:1 will go back out
>  on eth0:1
>
> Give it a try and let us know how it pans out...

It doesn't work, I'm afraid.

I can login to the server via both IP addresses from within the network,
but access from outside still fails. The connection gets as far as
the router (the port forward connection appears in the router logs)
but does not get a response from the server.

--
			Martin

STRL Reader in Software Engineering and Royal Society Industry Fellow
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc