[Durham] Dream Plug

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Fri Nov 11 12:57:43 UTC 2011

On Friday 11 Nov 2011 at 12:27, Andrew Glass <andrewglass3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone got or used one of these before??
>
> http://newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=Deb_DreamPlug
>
> Really fancy getting one to run as my router/firewall and wireless ap with
>  dns/squid etc
>
> Best get saving up for one as they are £115

I had a look at these when looking for a replacement for my current
mail/disk/ssh/dns/etc server. I ended up getting a second hand
Acer Aspire One netbook off ebay and putting Linux on it:

Advantages:

(1) Its slightly cheaper.
(2) Comes with its own screen and keyboard for easy O/S installation.
(3) Bigger memory and disk space.
(4) Comes with its own UPS (the battery lasts about 1 1/2 hours:
probably more with the screen off!)

Disadvantages:

(1) No wireless access point (but I'm sure there is Linux software available
to turn the wifi into an access point)
(2) No eSATA port or fibre optics (SP/DIF) port.
(3) Only 100 Mb/s ethernet,  not 1 Gb/s

I haven't got round to setting it up yet :-)

--
			Martin

STRL Reader in Software Engineering and Royal Society Industry Fellow
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc