[Durham] rsync

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 05:06:05 UTC 2012

On 03/04/12 01:04, Richard Mortimer wrote:

> 2 - make sure that you don't have any network mounted drives present
> (or exclude them explicitly as per /proc)

I usually get around this my mounting my drive somewhere else. e.g.
mount it on /backingup then rsync /backingup to wherever it needs to go.

In fact to do a quick and dirty regular backup to an external usb drive
my script is as simple as:

#!/bin/bash

if mount /dev/sda1 /backup_mountpoint
then
         rsync -rva --delete /backup_mountpoint/ /media/usb0/
else
         echo error mounting root
fi

umount /backup_mountpoint

This is handy if I'm doing a new distro or a new install and I'm only
interested in copying/viewing config files etc from the old system. I
suspect there would be issues using it for a complete restore.