[Durham] ssh and reverse port thingummy bob

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Mon Dec 24 09:46:59 UTC 2012

this is really for Riccard but someone else might know.

I'm trying to use ssh to login to machine2 from my home PC. Riccard
gave me the commands and it looks promising but not quite there.

On machine2 I type:

 ssh -R 2112:127.0.0.1:22 dougie at dougie_home

and I get in no problems.

At home I type:

ssh -L 2112:localhost dougien at localhost

(and many variations of this using various flags from man page)

but I usually get something along the lines of:

Bad local forwarding specification '2112:localhost'

I can't really make head-nor-tail of the man page.

Any clues?

Dougie