[Durham] Swap fills up then out of memory errors

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Sat Feb 18 23:08:31 UTC 2012

On 18/02/2012 17:59, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> On 18/02/2012 12:00, Oliver Burnett-Hall wrote:
>> Dougie -- what browser are you using?
> It's firefox (9.0.1) Olly, and it's my number 1. suspect at the moment.
> Or if not Firefox, at least one or more of its add-ons (Lastpass,
> Xmarks, Searchbar). I just need to think of a testing strategy now that
> won't take me into next year.

Ah firefox. I know the Mozilla guys have been doing sterling efforts
banishing memory leaks. I think ff9 (I'm using 10 here so can't check)
has about:memory with the advanced reporting of memory usage.

about:memory
about:memory?verbose

You will see each tab/page listed as individual compartments with the
amount of memory that is attributed to that. They are still working on
apportioning all of the remaining memory (on my system heap-unclassified
is 30%) but it should give you clues as to particular pages that may be
causing the worst leaks.

A good geeky read is Nicholas Nethercotes' blog
http://blog.mozilla.com/nnethercote/ where he talks about the Mozilla
MemShrink project. They have just started looking at how best to detect
leaks in plugins so there might be something related there.