[Durham] Gnome 3

Andrew Glass andrewglass3 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:10:33 UTC 2012

Just to let you know.....

Ive fixed the afp issue with lion, it was actually on the gentoo server
side, the avahi config had broke :P

Im also running a clean lion install without sabnzbd (newsgroup software)
and the system seems to be much more speedy and responsive :)

Only negative then would be Im unable to change my hard drive to an ssd :(

Oh and the recovery thing but Ive got fibre so thats not really an issue :P

Cheers

Andy

On 3 January 2012 22:26, Andrew Glass <andrewglass3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey
>
> Lion is lovely visually but its a bit sluggish compared to snow leopard
> even with 8 gig ram on the quad i5. Its also disabled normal access to afp
> shares i was running on my gentoo server. There is a workaround but its
> decided to go wonky again. Going to fiddle with netatalk and avahi.
> Hopefully  by 10.7.5 update they will have ironed out the glitches. Also u
> cant upgrade the hard drive yourself, they installed custom firmware that
> controls the fan speed and causes the fans to spin full belt. Also to
> change the drive u need to remove the screen using special suction pads. It
> sounds worse than it is really, these issues are just small annoyances in
> the grand scheme of things. Visually its great, the mouse and keyboard are
> lovely to use etc. oh another thing, to reinstall lion u have to boot to a
> recovery partition using cmd + r then download a full fresh copy of lion
> from apple. Its ok on fibre but would b painful if ur on slow broadband.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 3 Jan 2012, at 22:14, Jeffrey Daniel Rollin-Jones <
> jeff.rollin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What's wrong with OS X Lion? I went into the Apple Store today - big
> mistake, as I am now fighting to find any way,  short of selling my own
> grandmother, of paying for one. (The price is a problem, of course.  In
> fact I'd probably have to sell all three of my surviving grandparents to
> pay for a 27" iMac, and maybe even throw in a niece or nephew ;-) )
>
> On 3 Jan 2012 21:58, "Andrew Glass" <andrewglass3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Gnome 3 ghastly? I really like it :) wish i could say the same for osx
>> lion on my iMac lol
>>
>> Cheers
>> Andy
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 3 Jan 2012, at 19:00, Dougie Nisbet <dougie at highmoor.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > I mean, WTF?!
>> >
>> > I installed Debian on an old server (it doesn't have a DVD drive and I
>> couldn't be bothered trying to figure out how to get LMDE to install on it
>> - and no, can't boot from usb). It was really straightforward and I'd
>> forgotten how much I liked it. It's given me Gnome2. Then I installed it on
>> an old laptop, and it's given me Gnome 3. Not quite sure how I managed
>> that. But Gnome3 is ghastly.
>> >
>> > Ping->Olly, what desktop are you using?
>> >
>> > Dougie

Im running the *Virgin London Marathon 2012* in aid of *Henshaw's Society
for Blind People*.  You can please help me raise vital funds for this local
charity which doesn't have the resources of other national charities by
visiting my Just Giving page @ *http://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-GlassHULK*
*
*
Donate via text message text ESAG53 followed by your amount to 70070 e.g.
ESAG53 £20 to 70070 to donate £20 -  all multiples from £1 are accepted :)

Many thanks and cheers! :)

Andrew