[Durham] Excluding an IP range in arpwatch

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Mon Jul 9 06:19:19 UTC 2012

I just discovered arpwatch a few weeks ago and quite like it. I'm
looking into its potential for continuous running and detecting IP
conflicts. This is on 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254 range. About half of
this is in a DHCP range so I want to tell arpwatch to exclude that.
Looking at the man page and some web sources I can see that it's the -z
flag that I need, but I'm uncertain on the syntax. I don't think the man
page is that clear. Discussion on the web suggests that it's a netmask
required here and also that it might be necessary to precede running the
command with putting some stuff in environment variables.

To cut a long question short, has anyone used arpwatch and excluded an
IP range and could give me an example usage? e.g. excluding everything
from 192.168.1.195 - 192.168.1.255?

Thanks

Dougie