[Durham] copying files from drive to drive

David Beer david at thebeerfamily.com
Thu Jul 19 18:39:45 UTC 2012

Hi Andy

rsync is really quite straight forward easy and powerful to use. A
common set of options i use are avhP. Quite simply they mean the following:

a - archive this much better when transfering files either copying or
via ssh ftp etc.
v - verbose prints information out that is usual to see what it is doing
h - human readable, this is strange but gives the numbers and file sizes
in a form you can understand easily.
P - progress prints the progress so that you know how far you have got.

Test on a small range of files first to make sure that your command is
correct and gives you the output you want. I would also recomend if
copying lots of files that you do so in stages break it down. There are
some nice tutorials out there on the web and don't be afraid to use the
man page some good examples in there as well.

Thanks

David