[Durham] From viewing to streaming or saving

Nick durham-lug at njw.me.uk
Thu Apr 18 16:14:18 UTC 2013

Quoth Dougie Nisbet:
> somagic-capture | mplayer -vf yadif,screenshot -demuxer rawvideo -rawvideo
> "pal:format=uyvy:fps=25" -aspect 4:3 -
>
> Cool. Can I do any more? Stream or save? It seems that the only way  I can
> view anything from the device is by running the somagic-capture command.

mencoder will probably be exactly what you want here. It's from the
mplayer project, takes the same flags etc, so should work well and
quite easily. Something like this should work:

somagic-capture | mencoder -vf yadif,screenshot -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800 -ofps 24 -o myvideo.avi -

Look up -ovc and -oac for different encoding options.

Nick