[Durham] Netgear DG834

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Thu Aug 22 14:13:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 22/08/2013 11:56, Ian McKeag wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> When I log into my DG834 (no wifi) router via the LAN address the login
> is successful but only part of the admin page is displayed.  The frame
> and background colours are painted and the left menus is present but
> incomplete; the remaining boxes are blank; the rightmost column is
> absent. The page never loads completely; the exact point where it hangs
> varies but never beyond the end of the menu.
>
> This behaviour is consistent with all browsers including konqueror.
>
> The bowser status bar reads "Transfer data from 192.168....." and the
> cursor shows busy.  Mouse over displayed menu items shows the target URL
> in the status bar.

When I run into this type of problem its normally due to an MTU (Maximum
Transfer Unit) size problem on a network device somewhere.

In your case there are just two devices the DG834 and the affected PC so
I'd suspect that the affected PC has its MTU set too low.

Use the ifconfig command to list the current MTU

laptop at duncow:~/$ ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:21:9b:6e:bf:6f
           inet addr:192.168.1.106  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
           RX bytes:126384910 (126.3 MB)  TX bytes:47282904 (47.2 MB)
           Interrupt:16

The normal value for ethernet is 1500 so if it is lower than that try
setting the MTU to 1500.

sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500

If that fixes it then you need to determine why the MTU is set lower.
The normal reason for changing MTU is to fixup problematic broadband
providers routes but that should really be done in the DG834 itself not
on the LAN. I know that DG834 does have a setting for that.