[Durham] Netgear DG834

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Thu Aug 22 15:55:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 22/08/2013 16:37, Ian McKeag wrote:
> Thank you all for your replies.

> I feel that since access from the R-pi suggests that the problem is in
> the desktop system.
agree

>  I have experienced exactly this before also with
> Wheezy.  I was unable to diagnose then either. A drastic and defeatist
> full system re-install did cure it but I feel very insecure not knowing
> the cause.

too true.

At this stage I would reach for Wireshark (or tcpdump) and capture the
traffic going between the two devices. That should give you a clue as to
what is going wrong.

sudo tcpdump -i eth0 -s 8192 -w /tmp/capture1.pcap host 192.168.0.1

use control-c to end the capture

This should capture the traffic from your wheezy box (assuming that the
DG834 is 192.168.0.1 of course).

With wireshark you should be able to use a capture filter of
host 192.168.0.1
on the screen where you press "start" to begin the capture.

If you can't decipher the output I'll gladly take a look at the capture.
I'd suggest you send it privately (and gzipped) because you never know
what interesting bits (router passwords etc) are included in the capture.