[Durham] New motherboard and processor

john beddard john at silentshield.org
Tue Feb 5 08:30:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 07:55 +0000, andrew wrote:
> Hey
>
> Can I have your advice please?
>
> Im selling my iMac (can here the cheers from here lol)  and with the money Im going to build myself a mid to high range tower.  I've been looking at a couple of motherboards for an i5 or i7 based system.
>
> These are the boards
>
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-555-AS&tool=3
>
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-391-GI&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=2261
>
> Could you recommend another mid range board for about that price that would fit the bill? Or are these more than enough for what ill be using them for?
>
> Im going to be using linux and windows dual boot on it and ill be running virtual box for vm's
>
> I will possibly play a few games on it too…not sue yet.
>
> I quite like the look of the new i7 ivy bridge processor but its  bit pricy at £240 when I can get a Sandybridge i5 for 70 quid less.  Again any advice on the processor would be most welcome.
>
> These are the two processors Im looking at
>
> i7 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-403-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567
>
> i5 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-361-IN&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=1275
>
> My inner nerd says i7 lol what do you guys think?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Hello Andy and Everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the Group. I've been using Linux
for over 8 years. Having worked with most disros especially Debian,
Ubuntu also FreeBSD. My distro of choice nowadays is Fedora, which has
really improved a lot over the past 2 years. It's also good to see that
CentOS and Mandriva are becoming popular again.

With U.K Government, last November, deciding to give priority to
open-standards, throughout its tendering process. My sense is that free
and open-source software is now entering a new phase of growth.

Andy, if the budget allows. I would go for i7. Mainly because
partitioning and virtual services always need more and more upward
scaling. Plus the fact that you should get at least 8 years usage out of
the new set up. Also during this time TV is going to become increasingly
popular on all platforms. Just my humble opinion.

Looking forward to meeting up with you all,

John