[Durham] BNC to Raspberry

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 12:09:52 UTC 2013

On 29/03/2013 23:47, Oliver Burnett-Hall wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2013 22:37, "Dougie Nisbet" <dougie at highmoor.co.uk
> <mailto:dougie at highmoor.co.uk>> wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm, it's just a thought, but, could I connect a camera with a BNC
> connector to a Raspberry Pi? I've had a look through the forums and it
> doesn't look promising - I think I'd have to get a Phono adapter, to
> USB, and there are a lot of ifs.
>
> You're dealing with completely different eras of technology here!
>
> Google turns up a few BNC to USB adapters, but no mention of Linux
> support for them.
>
> I think you're thinking along the right lines already -  get a USB
> video capture device with a composite video input, and a BNC to RCA
> convertor. It should work, but it's not guaranteed.
>
> - olly

It's good to know I'm thinking along the 'right' lines. Currently got a
provisional 'worth a punt' shopping list of:

http://amzn.to/XO5PgB and http://amzn.to/XO5Tx5

but I haven't rules out trying to get an old bit of hardware and getting
something like http://bit.ly/XO65fH

This ebay listing (not UK unfortunately) seems to confirm the RCA
approach http://bit.ly/XO6iiP

Dougie