[Durham] Small graphics issue with Nvidia drivers

Richard Mortimer richm at oldelvet.org.uk
Tue Apr 1 19:43:44 UTC 2014

On 01/04/2014 20:17, Martin Ward wrote:
> On 01/04/14 19:49, Barry Titterton wrote:
>>
>> Google tells me that Ubuntu stopped using /var/log/messages around about
>> 11.04, it now dumps everything into syslog. I cannot see anything
>> obvious in syslog, but I do not know how to 'read' syslog so I could
>> easily be missing something relevant.
>
> I found (on Mageia 3 and 4) that I could install rsyslog and start it
> and this would create /var/log/messages and record messages in it.

It dumps into /var/log/syslog instead of /var/log/messages

You may also find something useful in /var/log/kern.log

Just look for lines with timestamps that correspond to the period that
the computer was "waiting" during boot.

I haven't really bothered with graphical boot screens but have noticed
similar "pauses" on a couple of machines. Admittedly they are primarily
servers so they don't boot to a graphical environment at all. It may be
that they need the right "pretty boot" packages installed or
alternatively it may be because the nvidia drivers don't support KMS,
Kernel "video" Mode Setting.

Personally I'd just prefer the old "text mode" messages whizzing by at
least that is easier to debug when things go wrong!