[Durham] privacy and security on the internet

mark mark at aktivix.org
Tue Aug 26 09:15:46 UTC 2014

Hi folks

This email is to invite discussion and gauge interest about a possible
event. Please respond to say if you're interested, or to join in the
discussion.

I'm copying in the Transition Durham mailing list because this relates
to thinking globally & acting locally to build decentralised,
resilient communications, and I think we all want that :)  Sorry if
anyone gets this message more than once due to list overlap.

Now the detail: One of the things that came out of the dfs3 day [1] at
the Miners' Hall was that some people were interested in learning
about privacy and security on computers / the internet.

Over on the Durham Linux User Group mailing list (cc'ed, reply there
please), there's a discussion taking place about whether to organise a
session devoted to practical cryptography [2], and what its scope
should be.

One option is to just look at "signing PGP keys"; PGP is a widely used
system for sending private emails over the internet, and proving who
you are; "signing keys" means building a decentralized global common
web of trust. You can read more technical info here [3] or take a
simple course for beginners here [4].

Another option is to make the scope a bit broader, and host what's
called a "cryptoparty". That means we would be helping each other with
not just PGP, but other uses of encryption as well. Things like
encrypting your hard drive so potential thieves can't see your
personal stuff, sending private messages over chat networks, digital
anonymity and more. You can read more about the cryptoparty idea here [5].

So, would you be interested in joining in an event in either of these
formats?

Either event should be suitable for computer users of all abilities
but if anyone has concerns about any potential obstacles to
participation, feel free to contact me in private if you prefer to
discuss them off-list. That would mean addressing an email to
mark at aktivix.org rather than clicking 'reply' to this message.

Cheers,
Mark

[1] https://network23.org/dfs3/