[Durham] Meeting Reminder: Tuesday 18th Feb, 19:30 Durham Rowing Club

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 20:53:08 UTC 2014

On 17/02/2014 15:57, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> I've just installed Debian on an SSD on my netbook. Looks quite
> interesting. Next step is to either:
>   repartition and install Windows 7 on separate partition
> or
>   Install a VM.
>
> I'm not sure which way to go. In theory, the fast boot-up of SSD means that
> it might be better to install Windows 7 on native partition, but VM looks
> more fun/interesting. I also don't know what's going to happen when I enter
> my serial number. Will windows think I'm running on a different PC and
> refuse to talk to me?
>
> At the moment it's a minimal Debian install. I'll see if I can get
> VirtualBox installed before tomorrow night. Would that be the best choice?

If you want to play games or use other graphically intensive programs,
then dual boot is probably the only option. Otherwise, VirtualBox is
a lot easier: eg you can save a copy of the entire hard drive,
mess about with Windows and then restore it back again if something
goes wrong or you chsnge your mind.

--
			Martin

STRL Reader in Software Engineering and Royal Society Industry Fellow
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc