[Durham] openvpn

Andrew Glass andrewglass3 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 10:24:58 UTC 2014

Hey guys

Ive finally got round to using openvpn to route my network via an American
server Ive built.  I decided not to host my daughters minecraft server on
this server.  I simply want to push all my home network traffic over
openvpn to America so I can get US shows on my apple tv box.

So Ive done the following:

1) Connected  my odroid via openvpn to America.
2) Made the odroid the default gateway for my router.
3) route add -net 192.168.0.0/24 gw 192.168.200.12 (200.12 is my openvpn
assigned ip)

However I have a few issues:

1) if I do cat /tmp/openvpn-status.log it brings up a list of connected
clients, however rather than showing the odroids ip address it shows its
mac address.

2e:71:7a:d1:51:f1,odroid,81.105.101.54:56942,Fri Jun 13 10:20:52 2014

Now I had to change the openvpn server config from using tun to tap to get
the route add to work.  Im just not sure if I needed to do anything else
apart from change tun to tap on my server and client config?

There is an entry for persist-tun in the openvpn.conf on the server.  Do I
need to change this to persist-tap?  I cant seem to find info on this?

2) Could it be that the status log showing the client as a mac address
rather than an ip address be the issue that's causing my home network not
to be able to get out onto the internet via the vpn?

Heres my openvpn.conf on the server side

port 11194
proto udp
dev tap
ca privnet/ca.crt
cert privnet/server.crt
key privnet/server.key
dh privnet/dh2048.pem
server 192.168.200.0 255.255.255.0
push "redirect-gateway def1"
push "dhcp-option DOMAIN .....name.co.uk removed"
push "dhcp-option DNS 8.8.4.4"
ifconfig-pool-persist ipp.txt
client-config-dir ccd
route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
client-to-client
push "route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0"
keepalive 10 120
comp-lzo
persist-key
persist-tun
management 127.0.0.1 1066
status /tmp/openvpn-status.log
verb 3

I would appreciate any help you could offer please?

Cheers

Andy