[Durham] Newbie looking for help

David Walland davidwalland at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:27:36 UTC 2014

Hi Guys,

I'm just transferring my XP machines to Xubuntu (*steep* learning curve)
and would be glad of help.

I'm a very old-time computer person, having learned to program in the 1960s
but almost entirely self-taught (you find the holes in your knowledge by
falling down them - usually "mouth -first").  For the last 20 odd years,
I've been a user of Microsoft, without knowledge of the architecture -
physical or logical - of the machines I use.

Right now I have two problems I'd appreciate help with:

a) I'm a lover of RPN calculators and usually have Free42 on everything.
I'm still trying to work out how to put this onto my Xubuntu machines.
Please spell it out, as I'm really new to Linux and haven't even learnt
where things go when they're downloaded yet!!!

b) We have a Canon Pixma MG3100 3 in one scanner/printer/etc linked via our
WiFi which I cannot find out how to address from the Xubuntu machines.  I
imagine I need exactly the right drivers but can't find them.  I understand
there is something called CUPS which may help but diudn't even understand
the explanation of this let alone how to use it/set it up.  **HELP!!!**

Regards

David Walland

PS Please be gentle.  I'm in my 60s