[Durham] Extending a WIFI home network

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Thu Mar 13 16:19:01 UTC 2014

On 13/03/14 16:01, Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> I think I may be looking it this the wrong way. What I should be doing
> then, is extending the network, then adding a WAP? Whereas my logic train
> so far has been to extend the Wifi ...
>
> I've got a couple of spare WAPs so it would be a good route for me. Would
> something like this be any good do you think? http://amzn.to/1hfDCcL

I think so (I have never used them though).

There is a pair of adapters here for £14.98:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B004INVKP4/

I looked into these when trying to extend the network to my son's
bedroom (in an extension: so its on the other side of a cavity wall).
The powerline devices cost over £40 a pair at the time,
so I ended up running a CAT5 cable through the loft/

--
			Martin

Dr Martin Ward STRL Principal Lecturer & Reader in Software Engineering
martin at gkc.org.uk  http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/  Erdos number: 4
G.K.Chesterton web site: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/
Mirrors:  http://www.gkc.org.uk  and  http://www.gkc.org.uk/gkc