[Durham] free software skill-share project: update

mark mark at aktivix.org
Wed May 14 00:08:11 UTC 2014

Hey.

This is a belated thanks to everyone who came along to the meeting in
The Vic on April 24th (you're all BCCed as this message is going to
public lists). I said I'd write up some notes from the meeting, and so
they're on the NELUG blog [1].

As you can see from that, one of our decisions was that we needed to
be inclusive of people with diverse identities and allegiances, so it
seemed important that the skill-share project should be autonomous of
the three organisations that are affiliated with it. For that reason,
I've set up a new blog as well [2]. It doesn't have much going on yet,
and we'll need to talk about domains at some point. Maybe during our
first skill-share day?

...which brings me to the BIG NEWS that you all need to put in your
diaries: we have a date for our first session, in the beautiful
setting of the Durham Miners' Hall, from 10-3 on Saturday July 26th
2014. You can see my slowly-evolving attempt to document how & why
this is going to happen in this document [3], which I'd be very
pleased if people were to comment on, edit, remix, mash up and send
back to me. I'm not an expert y'know, I'm just some guy having a go.
Which means you all can too.

The other fun that's happening at the moment is that Barry and I are
helping the community support centre to get some old computers back
into use for their volunteers and visitors to use.

Also coming up, I'm going to do a presentation of the project to the
next meeting of the Transition Durham Hub group, and David's going to
be making some publicity materials. There's plenty of litte bits of
administrative work to do, so let me know if you fancy that kind of
thing: For example, someone needs to 'match-make' between people who
need a computer and have none, and people who are offering to donate
old machines.

Bye for now,
Mark

[1] http://www.nelug.org.uk/time-to-share-that-free-software-love/